Lemon Amaretti Cookies are a delicious take on traditional Italian Amaretti cookies. Soft and chewy amaretti cookies are great for any occasion. Made with almond flour, sugar, egg whites, lemon zest and juice, and rolled in powdered sugar.
Soft and chewy lemon amaretti cookies are the recipe you need in your life! This pretty and simple cookie comes together in minutes and are great for holiday cookie exchanges, brunches, or just when you need a delicious treat.
These Lemon Amaretti Cookies are so simple to make and only require six ingredients:
- Almond Flour
- Egg Whites
- Cream of Tartar
- Powdered Sugar
If you’ve never had an amaretti cookie, it’s a crackled cookie that’s chewy on the inside. The traditional Amaretti Cookie recipe features Amaretto liqueur and almond extract. And for a lemon cocktail, don’t miss this Limoncello Spritz.
So if you love lemon and the chewy texture of amaretti cookies, you are going to love this recipe. Perfect for holidays, gifting, or just a great cookie to have on hand for snacking.
How to make Lemon Amaretti Cookies
Firstly, you need to preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment or non-stick baking mat.
Secondly, whisk together the almond flour and sugar. You can find almond flour at any grocery store. If you’ve never baked with it before, almond flour is simply ground up blanched (peeled) almonds.
Next, you will need to whisk together the eggs whites and cream of tartar. You want to beat the eggs until they reach the point of about medium peaks; they will hold their shape but are not quite at the firm stage. Then, fold in the lemon zest and lemon juice into the eggs.
Finally, use a spoon to combine the dry ingredients with the egg mixture. Stir until just combined. The mixture will be slightly crumbly.
Use a cookie scoop to scoop out even-sized balls of dough. Roll into a ball using your hands. Lastly, roll the ball in powdered sugar and place on your baking sheet leaving about an inch between the cookies.
Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the cookies are light in color and slightly golden on the bottom. Cool on the baking sheet before moving to a cooling rack.
Italian Cookie Recipes
If you love traditional Italian cookie recipes, be sure to check out these out:
- Almond Ricotta Cookies are soft and pillowy with a delicious almond glaze.
- Italian Thumbprint Cookies are rolled in crushed almonds and topped with delicious fig jam.
- Greek Butter Cookies are a similar cookie to the traditional Italian wedding cookie.
- Limoncello Ricotta Cookies are perfect for any occasion and have a delicious lemon flavor.
- Amaretti Cookies are the traditional Italian cookie flavored with Amaretto liqueur.
I hope you love this recipe for Lemon Amaretti Cookies! These soft and chewy cookies are great for any occasion. Give them a try and comment below to let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Lemon Amaretti Cookies
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (one lemon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour and sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, whisk the eggs whites and cream of tartar until they hold peaks. Whisk in the lemon zest and juice until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and use a spoon to stir until all ingredients are combined and a dough forms.
- Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out 1 inch balls of dough. Use your hands to roll the dough into a ball shape. Then roll the ball in powdered sugar just to coat. Place the cookie on the baking sheet leaving about an inch and a half between each cookie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are lightly golden and the tops of the cookies start to crack. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.