This traditional Italian Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake is the perfect dessert or snacking cake to have on hand. Made with ricotta cheese and mini chocolate chips, this simple cake is the best texture with so much flavor.
If you are looking for a simple and delicious Italian cake recipe, then this is it. Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake has all of those flavors you love in an easy to make cake that's both fluffy and slightly dense.
This is a great cake to have on hand for any occasion. Perfect for the holidays, brunch, or even with a cup of coffee for breakfast. Moreover, it's a simple dessert that's elegant with rustic look, perfect for your next dinner party.
Italian Ricotta Desserts
Ricotta cheese plays a prominent role in Italian desserts. This light and fluffy cheese, is subtly sweet in flavor and gives desserts a creamy and slightly dense finish.
If you've never baked with ricotta, you should definitely try it. The key to successfully baking with ricotta is creaming it along with the butter and sugar before adding the remaining ingredients. This will add air to the baked good without making it too dense.
I recommend beating the ricotta with a handheld mixer or stand up mixer for about five minutes. This will smooth the ricotta and make a more fluffy, rather than dense, cake.
Here are some delicious ricotta-based Italian desserts:
- Italian Lemon Ricotta Cake is a great way to introduce ricotta into your baking. Full of lemony flavor, this is the perfect cake for every occasion.
- Limoncello Ricotta Cookies are like pillows of lemon cake with a crispy exterior and delicious limoncello glaze.
- Almond Ricotta Cake is another delicious Italian cake that is super simple to make ahead. Great for brunch, after dinner, or a snacking cake to serve with coffee.
- Limoncello Ricotta Cake with cream cheese frosting is the perfect birthday cake or dessert for any special occasion.
- Lemon Ricotta Bundt Cake is a Nonna specialty and tastes great even days after baking.
So give baking with ricotta a shot and you'll be glad you did! You'll end up with a fluffy and light baked treat stay moist for days.
Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake Recipe
This simple dish comes together fast and only requires a few ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand.
To start, you will need grease and dust the cake pan. I like to use a 9 inch springform pan for this cake because it allows for easy release. However, if you don't have a springform, you could use a regular cake pan with high sides.
Next, cream together the room temperature butter, sugar, and ricotta using either a stand up mixer or handheld mixer. Cream for about four to five minutes, or until the mixture is creamy and light in texture. Add in the eggs and vanilla. Beat in the dry ingredients just until the mixture is combined; then fold in the mini chocolate chips.
Spread the batter into the greased pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a baking rack for 10 minutes before removing the collar of the pan.
Note that when the cake comes out of the oven, it will be puffed and domed on top. After a few minutes, it will settle and flatten a bit. Let cool before adding the topping.
Topping the Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
Keep it simple by topping the cake with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and mini chocolate chips. To make it extra special, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
To create the uniform powdered sugar look on this cake, simply place about a tablespoon of powdered sugar in a fine mesh sieve. Gently shake the sieve overtop the cake leaving a uniform dusting of powdered sugar on top.
Lastly, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. I like to do this while the cake is still a bit warm, so the chips melt slightly and adhere to the cake.
You can store this cake on the countertop in a domed cake pedestal for up to three days. Alternately, cut into slices and refrigerate for up to a week. This cake also freezes well; just be sure to slice ahead of time and place in an airtight container.
I hope you love this recipe for Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake. Be sure to comment below if you try it. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
- 9 inch springform pan
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened (one stick)
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 15 ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and position baking rack in the middle of the oven. Use one tablespoon of butter to grease a 9-inch standard springform pan. Add in one tablespoon of powdered sugar and move around the pan, shaking out excess when coated. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with handheld mixer or stand up mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together the stick of softened butter, sugar, and ricotta cheese until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in the eggs and vanilla and cream together for another minute. Pour in the flour mixture and mix until combined. Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan. Bake on center rack for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before releasing springform and cooling on wire baking rack completely.
- For the topping, place one tablespoon of powdered sugar in a fine mesh sieve and shake on top of cake until cake is just covered. Sprinkle on two tablespoons of mini chocolate chips.