This recipe for simple marinara sauce will show you that making sauce, doesn’t have to be difficult. Easy and fast, you’ll love how simple and delicious this marinara sauce really is.
Once you try this recipe for Simple Marinara Sauce, you’ll never need to buy store-bought again. This recipe comes together and minutes and is the perfect marinara for whatever you are making.
No need to spend hours simmering this sauce on the stove either. The fresh flavors come together quick and make for the perfect taste blend.
Simple Marinara Sauce with 5 ingredients
You don’t need a lot of ingredients to get the perfect marinara sauce. This recipe contains only five ingredients and yields a simply delicious sauce.
Here is what you’ll need:
- Olive Oil
- Diced Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Canned Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil
Additionally, you’ll need salt and pepper to taste. But that’s it! Simple and delicious, like promised.
Firstly, heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add in the olive oil and allow it to warm.
Next, add in the onions. For this recipe, I like to puree the final sauce so you don’t have to worry about the onions being chopped too finely or being completely uniform in size.
Let the onions soften and stir frequently so they don’t brown, about five minutes. Then add in the minced garlic and seasonings. Cook for another minute.
Lastly, add in the canned tomatoes. You will need about 48 to 50 ounces total. So this could be a combination of two 28 ounce cans, or four 15 ounce cans. Also, use whatever type of canned tomato you have on hand. While San Marzano is the best, you can use whatever sauce or crushed tomato variety you have.
Let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes. Personally, I like a smooth marinara sauce so I recommend using a handheld emersion blender to puree the sauce before serving. If you don’t have an emersion blender, use a regular blender. Just be careful when dealing with hot liquid in a blender.
And that’s it! Simple and delicious marinara sauce that’s ready in just minutes.
what to serve the sauce with
Now that you have this simple and delicious marinara sauce, here are some ideas of what to serve it with.
- Turkey Spinach Manicotti is a healthy and delicious dinner option that’s in need of a simple and delicious marinara sauce.
- Italian Polenta Skillet uses tubed polenta and has a hearty ground turkey base.
- Easy Italian Meatball Sliders have a simple meat blend and are served on soft Hawaiian rolls. Top with this marinara for a delicious meal or hearty appetizer.
- Italian Turkey Sausage Meatballs is a recipe you need to master and soon! And this sauce is perfect to go with it.
You can freeze this marinara sauce for up to three months or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for two weeks. Hope you love it!
Simple Marinara Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about half a large onion)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes (could also use tomato sauce)
- ¼ cup chopped basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened; about five minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic. Cook for about a minute then pour in the canned tomatoes, basil, and salt. Let sauce simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Using an emersion blender, blend the sauce until desired consistency is reached. Serve over hot pasta or use for any recipe needing marinara sauce.