Italian Sausage Kale Bean Soup is a healthy and hearty recipe full of flavor that's easy to make. Using Italian sausage, kale, and cannellini beans, this recipe is a great starter or perfect lunch dish.
Whether you are looking to escape the cold months, or just want a healthy and hearty soup, this recipe is for you. Italian Sausage Kale Bean Soup comes together quickly and includes a variety of healthy vegetables.
Another favorite quick and easy Italian soup is Minestrone Soup with Sausage, or Pasta e Fagioli, made with veggies, pasta, and beans. And, if you have leftover turkey, don't miss this delicious and easy Turkey Orzo Soup!
Based on traditional Tuscan kale soup, this recipe incorporates all of those delicious flavors and is so simple to make. Plus, this soup makes for great leftovers.
Italian Sausage Kale Bean Soup
To make this soup, I recommend having your vegetables chopped and ready to go. The soup comes together quickly and just takes minutes to put together.
Firstly, heat a large dutch oven or pot over medium high heat. Add about a teaspoon of olive oil and your Italian sausage. For the sausage, you'll want to remove the casings ahead of time.
Cook the sausage, using a spoon to break it up, until cooked through. Use a spoon to remove the sausage from the pot and set aside. If necessary, add more oil to pan.
Cook the onions, celery, and carrots until they just start to soften. If desired, you can deglaze the pan with red or white wine. This can also be done with chicken broth if you prefer not to use wine.
As for seasonings, add in a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and two bay leaves. You could also season with rosemary and thyme if desired.
Add the sausage back into the pot along with the chicken stock, water, can of diced tomatoes, kale, and cannellini beans. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
Tuscan Bean Soup Toppings
Once the soup is ready, remove the bay leaves and squeeze in half of a lemon to taste. Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese, grated over the bowl using a microplane grater.
This soup is a great starter for any meal. I love to serve a bowl before my famous Italian Turkey Sausage Meatballs.
As a meal, serve this soup with hearty Italian bread or a small side salad like Italian Tomato Onion Salad or these Italian Roasted Potatoes. And don't forget the balsamic and olive oil for drizzling.
Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Italian Sausage Kale Bean Soup
- large pot or dutch oven
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ½ pound Italian sausage, casings removed (mild or hot)
- ½ large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup wine (red or white)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ lemon, juiced (optional)
- parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat one teaspoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage and use a wood spoon to break up. Cook until cooked through. Use a spoon to remove sausage from pot; set aside.
- In the same pot, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and the onions. Cook for two minutes and add in diced carrots and celery. Cook for five minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for one minute. Pour in the wine to deglaze the pan and stir for another minute.
- Add in the cooked sausage, kale, broth, water, tomatoes, cannellini beans, bay leaves, and kosher salt. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Before serving, add in the juice of half a lemon. Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled over top.